Thursday, December 30, 2010

the truth...about New Year's Resolutions

The truth is that as much as people bitch about New Year's Resolutions and what a bunch of BS it all is, I happen to love the kick in the ass that inherently accompanies New Year's Day.

You can roll your eyes all the way into the back of your head. I will sit here and drink in the motivation and the camaraderie of my peers as we make promises to ourselves that may or may not be broken (most likely broken and most likely by Groundhog Day).

I have a few resolutions of my own this year. The usual one: Get healthier, and by this I mean, become a size 8 and find the fountain of youth. The biannual one: Be a better mother, and by this I mean, stop screaming at my kids until my throat is raw. And the new one for this year: Officially earn my supermom cape and take my career to the next level.

Yes, people, despite my past proclamations that I had no interest in a career, instead settling for working odd jobs here and there for the past 10 years while I gave myself over to mom jeans and dirty diapers and then had to brave the gauntlet to take myself BACK, I have changed my mind. I officially want to be a writer. And this year, I want to write a book.

Indeed, I had made this same resolution last year. I set about making this dream come true on January 1st, career-building checklist and all. While I had been dabbling in writing stories for my local newspaper (I'd been a reporter in my life B.C...before children), I secured my own column in a parenting magazine and had my resume professionally done. As I sit here today, I am a working freelance writer with an income that each month exceeds the one of the month before. Seriously? It's like a dream.

But being me, I am never satisfied. Now I get ready -- in 2011 -- to take the next step. I am going to self-publish a book. In many ways, the decision to write a book is like going off the pill. It's a decision to become pregnant with every idea and every honest and sincere thought I've ever had, letting it grow inside of my and then I will eventually give in to the labor pains and push that sonofabitch out of my hoo-ha in a painful and vulnerable way.

So get ready, world, for what I have to say. I am about to get completely knocked up. Happy New Year to anyone out there reading...2011 will be a big one.

1 comment: